Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Just another Tuesday

I really hate the phrase "pop of color" or "pop of [color name]" - it's on a par with "facet;" overused to the point of farce. I had to read a romance novel for school and the heroine said that her lover "caressed every facet of [her] body." FFFFFFUUUUUUU I can't believe these things go to print. I have to read another by Monday as well. For adult popular literature, we've been assigned two romances, two mysteries, one science fiction/fantasy, one western, one narrative nonfiction, and one "other" (I chose GLBTQ and read 'Tipping the Velvet'). It's not the romance or the hanky-panky that's objectionable, it's the hastily plotted stories and ill-advised dialog that make me gnash my teeth. Every romance I've read has the same problems, the same facepalm mistakes that drag me out of the action and remind me that I'm reading a crappy novel.

This weekend, trivia night and expensive car repairs! hooray. and not hooray.