Monday, August 30, 2010

Cloudy Monday

Make no mistake, this school is an awesome place. They have virtually everything I need, tucked into one cranny if not two.

My favorite things about GSLISing so far:

  1. The GSLIS building itself, a refitted old frat house with tons of character and a very "grad school" feel. It has everything! which leads me to...
  2. The LRL (computer lab) in the GSLIS basement. I never have to lug a laptop to campus thanks to this lab. Complete with a printer and tons of computers (mac and pc): if I ever have spare minutes on campus, it's perfect.
  3. The CCB: a very cool non-circulating library of children's literature (AND they have all the books for my YA fantasy lit class on reserve. that's what's up)
  4. The classes/professors: welcoming, informative, mostly pretty laid back and fun as well. Everyone is easy to talk to, to get along with, pleasant to be around, excited about the program. It's just a good energy.
  5. The campus. Easy, free bus system, awesome buildings, great libraries (bafflingly, all in DDC... we're rogues), good restaurants, fun bars.
  6. Easily navigable Moodle course spaces (nothing at all like the half-baked Moodle stuff my professors were doing at Augie!): they make it so easy to stay on top of everything, from assignments and readings to community events, job opportunities, classified ads (want to buy an air conditioner/bike/books/apartment sublease from another GSLISer? you can!): they even include links to GSLISers' blogs. So useful/fun.
So that's what's on my mind today re: school.

I used my KitchenAid mixer today to whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, but naturally ran out of steam when it came time to bake them. If I have to have cookie dough in my fridge, so be it! I'll try to struggle through somehow.

Some other things that make me happy:
  • re-reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for class. win
  • Modern Family premieres on my birthday
  • it's Monday, which means I get to watch Always Sunny reruns on Comedy Central tonight
  • it's almost September! my favorite month.
  • my fiance's birthday is one week from today, and I get to buy him a present!
It may be cloudy, and it may be Monday, but my disposition could hardly be sunnier. It's weird.